Sunday, May 17, 2009

Family Fun

Well, the weekend's not over, but we are having a good time so far! Thought I would write a quick blog post while everyone is sleeping!

Jonathan has a doctor's appointment Monday in OKC. We usually drive here Sunday afternoon after church. It is a lightning fast trip and not much fun. We have been trying to take a mini-vacation for the last few months. We wanted to go to Branson, but could never really make it work out. So, since we were coming here anyway, we decided to just make a weekend out of it. Not really the best of vacation places, but it works!

Of course, nothing with us really ever goes according to plans. Just see some older blog posts for evidence of this!! We had planned to leave Friday as soon as I got off work. Of course, that didn't happen. We were not really packed, so we had to do that first. Left the house at 2:30pm. Everything packed, we were off! Didn't even get across the river before we turned around and headed back home. The A/C in my car has been acting up lately and it was already blowing hot air that soon. So, back to the house at 2:35pm. Had to move EVERYTHING to Mark's car which took about an hour. Jonathan had fallen asleep in that few minutes we had been on the road, so of course, that made moving everything even more exciting and time consuming. Plus Mark's car is much smaller than the Jeep, so that also complicated things. Moved the car seat last while I held Jonathan. Left the house for the SECOND time at 3:30pm. Of course, Mark's car didn't have any gas (never does), so we drove up to Sam's to get gas. While filling up, we realized we had left stuff in the center console of the Jeep. Back to the house. THIRD time was the charm and we got on the road around 3:45-4:00pm. Due to all our delays, Jonathan's nap did not work in our favor as we had planned. We had hoped for him to sleep two hours of the trip. Instead, he slept about 1 hour. Oh well, that's what TV's are for! After several potty break stops and one stop for a suspected flat tire (stupid OK roads), we made it to OKC at 10pm!!!

The wind started blowing as soon as we started unloading the car. Evveerry single time we come here it is some kind of bad weather. We had barely made it inside before the rain started. And by rain, I mean torrential downpour.

Saturday morning, we slept in. It has been a long week for all of us and we just needed a break. Surprisingly, I was the first one up at 8:30am. Mark and Jonathan didn't get up til 10:30am!! Unfortunately, we slept through the good free breakfast at the hotel. We got dressed and headed to the Oklahoma Science Center. What a neat facility! Kind of like Wonder Place and Museum of Discovery in LR on steroids. They had tons of hands-on exhibits and displays and all kinds of fun stuff. Mark's favorite thing was riding the Segway. I was a little wobbly on it at first but caught on. They even let Jonathan do it while they steered. He did fantastic! Jonathan's favorite thing was the water table and the gymnastics mats. Of course, I'm thinking we could have done the water table at Wonder Place at home but hey, he was happy, so it works. I think my favorite area was the American Indian exhibit. They had a stuffed buffalo/bison that was so impressive. Also a couple of beautiful, beautiful headdresses and papooses. Just some amazing authentic things.

Mark on SegwayNorth American Bison

Came back to the hotel for a much-needed nap. Got up and went to the Oklahoma Redhawks minor league baseball game. Thankfully, I had brought a long-sleeved shirt and jacket for Jonathan. It got COLD at the game. Mark had refused to bring a coat, and he paid for it. He was cold by the time we left. The game was bad, they lost 8-3, and they were just a bad team. Completely deserved to lose. We had a good time anyway, and Jonathan ended up on the Jumbo Tron...again! He has been on the one in LR twice, I think. I know, he's just so stinking cute!! We got him a soft bat and ball that he had a wonderful time with. He even took the bat to bed with him last night! Mark and I love going to baseball games, and have really enjoyed the team in LR. The Travs are a good team and win more than not. Also, if you don't buy advance tickets, you will be sitting in the grass. There was just not that many people at this game. They have a beautiful brand-new stadium in a perfect location, and just did not have the crowd. Plus, it was so cold, and they were losing, that people just kept leaving. There were probably only 200 people there by the end of the game. Sad. We had fun and Jonathan was glad when the crowd thinned out so he had more space to play.
Jonathan & Mark at Baseball Game
Jennifer & Jonathan at Baseball Game

We got up a little earlier this morning, but didn't get out of the hotel any earlier. We are staying at the Embassy Suites (thank you Mark's work points) and we had to enjoy our breakfast first. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Then we left for the OKC Zoo. They have a really nice and BIG zoo here. We have been here before when Jonathan was about 6 months old. That time, we came in August, and it was just unbearably hot.

Jonathan on monkey statue.

We have another pic of him at six months on this same monkey!

This time, it was cool in the morning and perfect by this afternoon. Of course, we feel the need to do the ENTIRE zoo, so we wore ourselves flat out trying to see everything. We didn't. Not even really close. We did see all the things Jonathan wanted to see. He has said for the last few days that he wanted to see: Monkeys, Giraffes, and Turtles. So funny, but that is what he wanted. He loved the huge Galapagos turtles, the Gorillas, the giraffes, the zebras, and the rhinoceros. He is such a big boy and wanted to walk or push the stroller through most of the zoo. We rode two kid rides, the choo choo train and carousel that he greatly enjoyed. The end of the day was probably the best, we rode the BIG train that went through the grazing animal part of the zoo. He was so very excited to ride the train. The conductor was stop at the gates to let them open and again when through them to make sure nothing got out when they closed. Each time, Jonathan would yell out, "Stop just a min-ute!" He is such a sweet little boy. We each got an ice cream on the way out and he was VERY excited about that as well. New toy and t-shirt from there too. Can you tell that he's the only child and that we aren't going on a big vacation this year?

Jonathan and the big train.

Now, we are just hanging out in the hotel. Jonathan passed out in the car on the way back. Did not even move as we came in, up the hotel, changed his pull-up, and put him in the bed. Mark passed out shortly thereafter. I should probably take a nap, but just enjoying a little free time to veg out.

Jonathan in the swimming pool (after nap).

I have had that moment today where I am just filled with love and awe and gratitude for the beautiful family that God has given me. Thank you Lord for all our blessings and for loving and caring for us. Thank you for a turning a 2nd choice vacation into a wonderful time to spend together as a family. Thank you for the opportunity to have this time together. And as much as we hate coming here, thank you for the doctors we come to see and their God-given talents that have helped our son. Thank you for leading us to this point in our lives and in our walk with you. It is truly amazing to look back and see all the things that have happened that led us to this place. Thank you Lord.

Please remember Jonathan in the morning and pray that his appointments will go well. First one at 8:30am and next one at 10:10am. Thank you for praying for him. We could never repay any of you for the many prayers that has been said for our son. We know that God hears them all and answers our prayers. We have faith that God is and will continue to completely heal Jonathan's body.

No comments: